Monday, March 28, 2016

Yajaida, 11

Ciril Jazbec



Slovakian artist with an MA in Photojournalism and Documentary Photography, Jazbec is a world traveler. In addition to being published in numerous magazines he is a contributor to the National Geographic. He does some commercial work and smaller personal projects as well as extensive assignment work.

"I believe in the power of photography... I want to show positive examples of how to solve various problems of our society and the world in general... The projects I choose are those that do not merely document, but rather also inspire and remind us of the many things we tend to forget in the fast-paced world of the West."

For the first time I wanted to look at an artist within the confines of a specific series, to help me focus my intention and understand that a series is cohesive, but not linear. This series by the artist is titled "Waiting to Move" and focuses on the Shishmaref community. It won the Leica Oskar Barnack Newcomer Award in 2013. The interview for Leica can be seen here, and is particularly telling of who he is as a photographer, and the humanity behind these images.

Stumbling across Jazbec's work, I was stopped immediately by the simple thought, "This is what I want to do."  If I could I would just place these images in my final project. I am struck by the composition, the light, and most importantly the narrative that is implied but executed in a polished fashion. Not at all in a crude way that I tend to do with my amateur photography.


2 comments:

  1. Don't sell yourself short! The first and last images remind me very much of work you've shown us (the woman in her doorway and the guy sitting by the window). These are great, but I'm really looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kerry! It's funny that I've taken a version of all three of these images, before I ever saw any of the work from this photographer.

      Delete