Sunday, March 27, 2016

Catherine Meadows Weekly Post 10







I know, I know... I posted about another pet photographer. I've just been doing a lot of research on people to see if it is actually possible to be successful with a project similar to what I'm doing for my final in class. I'm not choosing these people because I think the animals are cute, I'm choosing people that I find to have good skills in photography. And the cute animals are a plus!

1)  Artist biography and background
     Rachel Potter is actually a full time veterinarian, living in Vicksburg, Mississippi. Through being a veterinarian, she discovered pet photography and fell in love with it immediately. When she's not working at the vet hospital, she takes pictures of adoptable animals at local shelters. She also, if she has time, books sessions with people to photograph their pets as well.

2)  Artist’s intent, thematic and technical choices
     On her website, she states that she often feels she can relate better with animals rather than with humans, which creates a strong connection in her work. I feel that by photographing something that has had such a huge impact in both her work life as well as her personal life, she indeed creates strong work. 

3)  My personal response
       I mean, she basically has my dream life. I'd love to work with animals for the rest of my life, and if I can include photography in that work, then I'd be more than happy. To me, her work isn't uninteresting to look at. Which is surely the opposite of what most people would say when looking at professional photographs of dogs and cats. I think they're composed very well and she chooses angles that show intriguing perspectives on the animals.  She uses both artificial and natural lighting in a way that really brings out the endearing qualities in the animals.

2 comments:

  1. I would also love her job too! I find it awesome took photos against the whole "black dog syndrome" struggle a lot of photographers find!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its nice to see the different backgrounds that she has put behind the animals to offer a variety of interest for the viewer. Could be nice to see with some of your photos to offer a different perspective or feel about it. I know you were a little worried with most having the "lock in" animal being to repetitive.

    ReplyDelete