Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Carra Roots- Weekly Artist Post 8

Justin Dingwall






While making photographs for the last project I found that I chose work of the artist that I already tend to do myself. But what I found different was that I had a concept. As I stated in class, I take many pictures but nothing that I could say that I really meant to take that. My thought was that my focus was going to be on children, but after the critique I see that I enjoy taking pictures of the body and its form. I appreciated the feed back and am using it from here on out.

Although I want my focus to be on the beauty of the african american female, I am looking everywhere for inspiration. Justin Dingwall caught my eye immediately. He is taking a body that is not looked at all the time. In some ways he is using appropriation from older art forms and times and making them apply to anyone.
Justin is using contrast to make the image really pop. The white pureness of their skin against the different colors keeps the eye involved. I really enjoy the chances that he took. Many of his pictures are different but still cohesive. 

2 comments:

  1. It seems to me that he has found a way to emphasize beauty without sexualizing the bodies, which is really wonderful. The religious allusions in the last image are really interesting and give me a lot of food for thought - I can read it as a whole dialog about the role of Christianity as a vehicle for both oppression and liberation. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing display of contrast and color. Relating to your work, this seems like something you would do.

    ReplyDelete