Saturday, March 19, 2016

Hailey Porth Weekly Post

Over spring break I went to NYC with the Art Department and it changed my LIFE!!! Any who I saw this photographer at the MET and it was incredibly powerful

Jo Ratcliffe
http://www.stevenson.info/artists/ractliffe.html


  

  
 These are the ones I took but there grainy and gross so below are some better pictures. 











The Aftermath Of Conflict
Jo Ratcliff

Here's an article from the MET






Jo is a South African photographer who documented the aftermath of the Angolan Civil War. She was able to capture landscapes and portraits of people and places that had been made desolated in the wake of the war. Ex soldiers would go back with her to these places and she was able to capture the emotion of emptiness and strife that categorized these regions. 

The exhibit was set up in a room with white walls, and every photograph had its own space it was cramped. Every photograph was able to breathe and tell its line in the story. The landscapes began to have just as much personality if not more as the portraits did. In each photograph there was the ability to make one feel the emptiness that the places and people have felt. 

Ratcliffe has provided a way to be able to capture emotion in lifeless objects. She has been able make a culture that has been destroyed and downtrodden come to life again. Her black and white photographs are not very contrasty making the subtleness of the photographs set the tone for the entire exhibit. 

I am going to dare to capture places like she does. The details and the broadness of places. Going the extra mile. The thing thats interesting that I read is she didn't just go there once but continued to go back making it an investment, a place where nobody wants to be found she found it necessary to go and document. 


3 comments:

  1. these are very interesting choice of photographs. It is very important to revisit places as a photographer to document and to create bold, artistic, and Documentary work. Photographers who invest in there time in places that people don't want to go are able to give that place a chance to be noticed. Those who are afraid to travel, stay, or pass through these areas are able to examine and experience these places for themselves through important photographs like that. Because of the hard work and dedication of the photographer, change and attention are drawn to places.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To start, I love that your blog entry is from a museum trip.

    As for the work, I love it. The way she frames her images is very nicely done. I really like the depth of her images, as well. I think the square framing and large depth of field work well together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The subject matter is very strong and the composition are inspiring. I love that all of the images are in black and white. Thats just my preference but it makes them so much more raw for me. Also I dont know why but the fish picture has me mesmerized

    ReplyDelete