Monday, March 28, 2016

Christian Moll Weekly Artist Post

Chris Jordan

Chis Jordan is a great photographer of our time. His Midway Atoll series is awe inspiring and very moving. For those that are not familiar, Midway is a remote cluster of islands more than 2000 miles from the nearest continent. Jordan's Midway series exposes the problems inside the stomachs of thousands of dead baby albatrosses. The nesting chicks are fed lethal quantities of plastic by their parents, who mistake the floating trash for food as they forage over the vast polluted Pacific Ocean.
This is just the tip of the ice burg when is comes to our vastly polluted ocean and problems that is causes.

For my final project I have decided to use this as an opportunity to shed more light on an issue that I feel needs more attention brought to it. I plan to use light painting as my medium to shed light onto this issue that effects this community directly. As Hampton Roads is very large in the fishing industry. Over the next few weeks I will be making photos that stress this problem and in a different way that will be more appealing to the viewer.

2 comments:

  1. One, I love your idea for a final project. Doing an entire series on light writing is so much fun!
    As for this work, love it. I love art that has a message. I also think everyone needs to recycle as much as they can. It is just heartbreaking to see stuff like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this series some time ago and was deeply moved by it. I can't wait to see how you use your light painting to address local pollution issues.

    ReplyDelete