Monday, March 28, 2016

Carra Roots - Weekly Blog Post







So in class I’ve had plenty of discussions with Shane about trying to get away from portraiture. Outside of work, it seems to be the only thing that I do. I’ve been working on showing meaning indirectly. This is exactly what Hsin Wang does. She takes her own personal stories and recreates them using things that came to mind or more than likely happened to her.

In her series De-Selfing, no faces are being shown. Not only that, but she provides things in her photos that do not include people that still tell the same story. These may be pretty obvious things to some people but for me I see this as challenging, yet I find myself intrigued. She also paid attention to the lighting and colors being used. If she used bright colors somethings would not have the same meaning, or the meaning would be lost. She makes you feel as though you are losing one self.

Seeing this really opened up my mind into thinking what do my photos have that tell a meaning. Not saying that every photo has to have this deeper meaning, but if it does how is it coming across.

3 comments:

  1. Really enjoy the simplicity with the photos with the matching gray background. Interesting how he worked around not showing faces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I already said this on another post but I love the square frame.
    Although these are on a blank background with a single subject, they are very strong and hold an intense emotion. The shine from the seran wrap image is so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This studio work is incredible. I often wonder if there are some limitations to working in obviously orchestrated environment, but these images would have been distracting with a chaotic background. Stripping the location and the faces makes you focus on the meaning. Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete