Sunday, March 13, 2016

Anna Luker Blog Post



Following up with the reactions received from the last critique I found myself feeling lost. Spent a lot of time just trying to dig deeper into maybe what I should be trying to express in my photos and what is maybe unintentionally portrayed. So I took so time to look up various photos that just made me feel different types of emotions or made me react a certain way. Then I came across this series of work. Ive spared you the audience from the other photos but feel free to check them out yourself! 

~ You've been warned ~

Click  here to continue

" “Nausea” by Russian photographer Lilia Li-Mi-Yan from Calin Kruse’s excellent Dienacht Publishing venture reminds me of what would happen if Robert Gober’s sculptures and Francis Bacon’s paintings would conceive of if they accidentally had sex, miscarried, and found a way to resuscitate the gentle corpse back to life." Since 1991 she has been living and working in Moscow.

I found myself totally creeped out, anxious, and almost repulsed at these photographs. Then I sat and actually looked at the elements that made me feel a certain way and I came to the idea that simplicity is really important. Most of the series of work are not these extreme situations or un-ordinary circumstances. Yet I felt so uncomfortable looking at them. Perspective has a lot to do with them. The lighting and simple but perfect composition as well I believe contributes to the emotions received. They are so 'off ' and have said to be shocking, grotesque, and challenging. Which I feel all these adjectives fill the description very well. But her use of different angles is what I feel contributes most of the success to this body of work. 

"Corporeity is in the center of the author’s creative process."






No comments:

Post a Comment