Sunday, February 21, 2016

Victoria Garnett, Artist Post, New Light on Land, 2/22/2016

Vanishing Race, 1904. By, Edward S. Curtis. Platinum Print. 

This photograph spoke to me when I saw it at the Chrysler. Native Americans had been through many years of hardships, but we must remember that Native Americans still exist and still keep their heritage and culture very much so alive. The photograph shows us that they are on the move,  their backs facing us, and riding their horses along a dusty trail. This image to me isn't showing the actual people disappearing, but more so their land and homes disappearing and being taken over by others. I feel that it was very important to document their lives during this time that the photograph was taken. 
Railroads were being built on their lands and was constantly being approved to be built, forcing them to move.  This photograph makes you want to dig deeper and research their history and makes you imagine what their lives had to of been like during that time period. 



Men Cradling Wheat, Near Sperryville, Virginia, 1936. Gelatin silver print. 

After looking at the rural surroundings in the photograph, I read where this photograph was taken, it further interested me. It interested me because this photograph was taken in an area that I am very familiar with, approximately 20 minutes from my hometown. This hit home because my family, like many others, had to do work like this during this time period. This image makes me really think of the land of Virginia. 










1 comment:

  1. the picture of the men carrying wheat reminds me of the 1850 "The Sower"

    ReplyDelete