Sunday, February 21, 2016

Anna Luker - Water




Edward Burtynsky - Water Exhibit 

Brings to light a very concerning topic to the modern world, water. The worlds water sources are taking a brutal beating due to our negligence. Littering, pollution, and oil spills all taking its toll on the environment. These stunning images and there very large print size but the problem right in your face. Showing the viewer the size of the importance of water and how much it is valued in our everyday lives. His concern about the current state of the relationship between humanity's need for this resource is obvious. His aerial take on this subject I believe truly adds something unique to the viewer. I was immediately drawn in by the size and magnitude of the photographs. Seeing the under lying problem, his perspectives of the photographs almost give the viewer and different angle to the situation. This is not something I see everyday. The area of the photo really do show you the whole problem and not just a portion. Such as the oil spill and the difference in his photos of California. That funny saying, "...the grass is greener on the other side.." well in that photo it literally was. 

I really enjoy the Ariel shots. Almost adds some sort of unknown abstract to the world. 
The quality of the photographs is so amazing. Walking by them I could not tell if some were actually photos or painting. Or even what type of area I was looking at. The last image strikes me a lot because we have this never ending desire to always have some sort of control or connection with water. If we are not harvesting, polluting, or ingesting it, it becomes part of our entertainment. Beach homes, waterfronts, and the desire to spend every vacation at the beach! 
Very powerful images and very pro-active show.  

3 comments:

  1. I enjoy aerial shots too, because I feel like it's never been taking seriously other than weather necessities. To see an overall perspective from above compared to majority of photography that's on land, it does add a different perspective to the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many of his ariel shots remind me of Andreas Gursky's work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The size and aerial perspective turn many of the images abstract, which adds to their appeal for me. The top photo is a great example - it's a striking image even before I have a clue what I'm looking at. So it draws me in from far away, then reveals itself more intimately when I get up close. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete