Saturday, February 27, 2016

victoria garnett, Artist post 7, Feb/28/ 2016

Russell Scalf 





His work









Since I am looking into the military, I decided to do some research on military photographers this weekend. I stumbled across United States Air Force Photojournalist Russell Scalf. He had been named Military Photographer of the Year in 2014 for work he had done in 2013. His photography, along with many others, was reviewed by judges at the Defense Information School in Ft. Meade, Maryland. He also takes many other photos that are not affiliated with the military on his website.

In an interview he had done the question, "Do you have any advice for others working as photographers within the military" was asked and he answered, "The only person who can stop you from being successful is yourself... Talent can only get you but so far, I've become successful because I was willing to put in the work to get there". I felt that answer was right on point with anything that is is that you want to do. Its always important to put yourself out there regardless of your doubts and fears.

In the last photo, the lighting is perfect. The Airmen sitting in the inside of the plane in the light and the moon shining just above gives the photo nice composition and an interesting image to look at. The photo just above give a nice an crisp reflection in the Airmens classes. The very first photo I feel hits home to many people in the military that carry their loved ones photos in their pockets or wallets when they travel far from home on deployment.

3 comments:

  1. It is interesting to see a different take on military photographers since my fiancé does completely different work than Russell. I'm so use to seeing all underwater or helicopter shots! I'm sure, if he hasn't already, he would be excellent at putting together a photo story. I can already see how one could be put together by the images you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The last photo definitely gives a lot of emotions off. You dont even have to have any affiliation to feel something when looking at these photos. I really admire his use of lighting. So very soft and makes such harsh faces/environments a little softer. His words are also very inspiring since I, myself, tend to get discouraged with my own work then it sort of hits me I just need to try harder and be more persistent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The last photo definitely gives a lot of emotions off. You dont even have to have any affiliation to feel something when looking at these photos. I really admire his use of lighting. So very soft and makes such harsh faces/environments a little softer. His words are also very inspiring since I, myself, tend to get discouraged with my own work then it sort of hits me I just need to try harder and be more persistent.

    ReplyDelete