Sunday, February 14, 2016

Victoria Garnett, Artist post 5, 2/14/2016

Devin Allen








Devin Allen, from Baltimore, had gotten notice from his photography of the Baltimore Riots on Instagram. His work is very powerful and reminded me instantly of  one of photography's legends, Gordon Parks. I tried searching for an official website of his work but the site I found went straight to his social media (http://devinallenphotography.com/). The important link is his name at the top of the blog. The article that I found of Devin Allen, acknowledges his success in his powerful photographs from the Baltimore Riots that took place in April 2015. 

The second photograph was featured on Time Magazines front cover of the May 11, 2015 issue. His work was also featured in the Washington Post, New York Times, and local newspapers. He is only the 3rd amateur photographer who's work that had been used for Time. 

This 26 year old man captured these images that showed the frustrations of the African American community during such a time of confusion, frustration, and grief. It's photographs like these that take courage to go after and MAKE, especially during a time such as this!!!! Devin Allen stated "I want to document issues I feel connected to". And his photographs ABSOLUTELY speak just that. His work stresses that little has changed over the years in Baltimore, and it also shows how the country to him hasn't changed at all. 

These photos make me feel the frustration the people faced during this chaotic time. I feel that Devin Allen's choice of making the photos black and white, was a very good decision. The black and white to me is symbolic to the Civil Rights Movement and events such as these that occur gives us the sense of going back in time and history.  

2 comments:

  1. Its amazing to me how many people are getting found off of social media!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like these photos would be right up your alley to recreate, since he also is similar in style as one of your favorites, Gordon Parks!

    ReplyDelete