Sunday, February 14, 2016

Catherine Meadows Weekly Post 5

Geert Gorris









Geert Goiris lives in Antwerp, Belgium. He received his Masters in Photography in 2002 from the Academy of Fine Arts in Belgium. He has had dozens of both solo and group shows all over the world since 1998. From 2002-2014, he has had various teaching jobs in Belgium, France, Switzerland, and the Netherlands. He currently lives and works in Belgium and has already had one solo show this year in Rouen, France.

Goiris' work usually includes landscapes. He is constantly in search of "unnaturalness" in the world around him. Often with these landscapes, he has a long shutter speed. This long exposure adds to his "surreal" theme. He uses a large format camera. He says that he travels out of Belgium on average around 5 times a year. When he is at a location for shooting, he usually drives from one place to another because his equipment is too heavy for long hikes.


The reason I chose this photographer is because Shane suggested I look him up. Since I had Shane for my Photography I class, he has seen quite a bit of my work. He told me to look up Geert because we had similar photographic choices. After looking through his work, I can definitely see a similarity. Both Geert and I primarily shoot landscapes (some of my landscapes, however, are crap compared to his). Landscapes are something that I have always loved photographing, because I feel that there's a lot more freedom regarding shutter speed and aperture. Since I am still working on the Appropriation project, I'm thinking that I may try to appropriate one of Geert's photographs.

4 comments:

  1. I'm a sucker for sharp contrasts! These are very eye-catching landscapes. The mix of explosions are a nice twist to the usual landscapes though. The contrasts through color and shades are very nicely done, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Landscape photographers I feel like are a special breed. I cannot ever seem to capture a decent landscape photo and these are incredible. The top one is very unusual! Im assuming that was snow and mountains? Definitely more abstract and different from the norm. The long exposure seems to adds to the hues and contrast. The color are so vibrant and rich. The bottom photo looks just like the screen saves that came with the old windows program. So vivid and colors pop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These photos are gorgeous!!! WOW. But the one that gets me the most is the simplistic one at the top. I've never seen anything like it

    ReplyDelete
  4. His continental drift series is pretty awesome work. He does a good job or some how pulling together an abstract like feeling from his landscape photos. That top photo is unbelievable, you should try to recreate something similar to that. It will be interesting to see what you can come up with.

    ReplyDelete