Sunday, February 7, 2016

Hailey Porth Weekly Post 4

Andrea Wise











Andrea Wise's project "Freedom Bound" follows an incarcerated female and her life after being in jail. She documents what it is like to be on the route to becoming a success story after being incarcerated. All of the photographs are done in black and white and have a strong subject.

Something that is very appealing to me is that Wise documents the parts hard parts but more often than not you see Erika (the subject of this series) rising above the statistics, rising above what is "supposed" to happen to her after being in jail. You see her succeeding. Which is very different from the normal documentation of incarcerated victims.

 



In Wise's photographs there is a feeling of being in the action as well as observing it. Because of the camera angles I feel as if I am in the situation. The content of the what is in the frame I am able to pick up almost a story line of what is going on and I feel as if I know the people and they are pictures of my friends. I don't know if that makes sense. But I feel as if these photographs are pictures of people I know and I care enough to try to know more of what else is going on inside the frame.

2 comments:

  1. I think that this artist really fits with the style of photos that I have seen from your work in class. Just work out the details and I think your work can be this strong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The artist has a real knack for capturing intimate moments that have strong narrative value. I would love to know more about her process - does she have to make a ton of exposures to get these, or does she just know when to push the button? And I agree with you that this is a particularly uplifting series. I think the choice to use black-and-white helps emphasize the narrative, too, making the emotional impact stronger.

    ReplyDelete