Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Rachel Trautmann's Weekly Post 2/29/16








 Simpson specializes in macro photography. He uses LEGO figures as his main subject matter.  He began photographing LEGO figures when he got the idea to mix two of his loves; LEGOs and the history of photography. His earlier works depict classic photographic images with LEGO figures in place of the original humans photographed. 


I have been following Stimpson's work for years. I was originally drawn in for his use of LEGO figures being depicted in classic photographic images. When I came across his work, he just started working on his Star Wars series. That was what drew me to continuing to follow his work. A toy photographer seems kind of odd until you realize how many people in this world have to do it. Stimpson just takes the commercial aspect out of the images and adds human elements. He treats his subjects as if they were actual humans and I believe that helps with the overall quality of his images.

4 comments:

  1. His combination of technical expertise and whimsy really makes these images delightful- they make me smile :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are amazing!! So simple and elegant. Sometimes something in the simplest of forms make for the best of images. I am very drawn to macro photography and the detail he is able to capture is crazy. I have just a little cheap lens attachment that helps me get closer to details but I need his lens!
    Such a cool idea to bring to subject matters together as well. Lego and history, who would have thought?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even though lego's carry a 'child-like' history, which may make people believe that the photos cannot be taken seriously, BUT I'm pretty sure the technicalities are waaaay harder than what we see to the eye!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a very interesting way to go about composing compositions. Even though these are just legos these pictures are extremely powerful because of how he handled his technical choices like light for example.

    ReplyDelete