Thursday, February 18, 2016

Rachel Trautmann's Edward Burtynsky Water Blog


It was a challenge for me to select only three images. Many of his images have been taken in locations I have lived or of subject matter that is of interest to me. They were all just completely breathtaking, as well. I have studying and viewed Burtynsky's images for years and it was a pleasure to finally see some of his work in person.


Manikarnika Ghat, Varanasi, India, 2013

I was drawn to this image because of my personal connection to it. I have always been connected to Buddhism, although I don't necessarily classify myself under any religion. If I needed to put a label on myself, I would comfortably call myself a Buddhist. Beyond their beliefs, I find their rituals very inspiring and beautiful. This image captures their cremation ceremonies in such a realistic and beautiful way. The complete detail throughout this and many of Burtynsky's images is just amazing. The sharpness throughout this entire image really helps the viewer experience what was happening while the image was captured. 



Oil Spill #2, Discoverer Enterprise, Gulf of Mexico, USA, 2010

Beyond this photo being breathtaking, I was drawn to this photo because of my personal experience with the Deepwater Horizon oil spill. Before moving to Virginia, I lived in Pensacola, FL. I remember the day like it was yesterday. The restaurants, businesses, and beaches weren't the same for years. I even did a 20 minute speech about the oil spill in my public speaking class. The tar seen in this image can still be found on the beaches across the Gulf Coast. Although the images are gorgeous, the reality is not.



Benidorm #1, Spain, 2010

I was drawn to this image because of the separation and color. The separation between water and sand is easy transitioned because of the wet sand. The contrast of the water and multiple shades throughout the water helps weigh the image down. Yet, the umbrellas at the top of the image, although dense, lightens the image. The balance of the people in the water and broad umbrellas is also very striking. The subject matter throughout also gives you an endless amount of things to discover within the image.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for taking the time to put your personal insight and experience to the second image. The image is beautiful, but it does lack the human impact factor.

    ReplyDelete