Friday, January 15, 2016

Victoria Garnett, weekly artist post, 1/18/2016

Forest McMullin 









1.
1. Forest McMullin, a freelance photographer out of Georgia who is also a professor, uses a pentax 645D camera. In a lot of Forest McMullin's work he photographs the interesting shapes, textures, and patterns that a subject may have. For example, in the photo of the stripped animal, you see the contour shape of the belly, also you instantly notice the tan, brown and black stripes the figure has.  

2. McMullin's intent is to capture people as their true selves. The photograph of the African American man dressed in cowboy attire, is a photograph that is showing the African American man in a different light, taking him out of the stereotypical environment. This gives the view something to really think about an something different to see and pay attention to. This photographer is BIG on demonstrating racism. He has many out of this world photographers of individuals in regards to racism.

3.I think that he is an amazing photographer. He captures many unique and interesting photographs that make you think. His photography has very large range of things he decides to photograph which is something that I enjoyed seeing on his website. I find it fascinating that he has an interest in the photos he chooses produce. Many of his photos on his website are fairly recent works and are very intriguing.  

1 comment:

  1. What a diverse and interesting set of images this is! McMullin clearly has a wide range of interests (and must have a wide range of influences as well?) - I have a hard time detecting a common thread running through the series. That's not a criticism, and may be more a lack on my part than a comment on the diversity of his work.

    I am particularly interested in the images in which he focuses on shape and texture. Creating abstraction out of concrete objects is something I like to do with my own photography, and I enjoy seeing how other photographers approach the same idea. I think my favorite, though, is the last one. I like the way he makes use of the natural horizontals and verticals, and the different colors in the background, to frame and balance the composition. I am a huge fan of bones, so I naturally love seeing the bones on the wall. And the man seems to fit very naturally and strongly into the composition McMullin has created. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete