Sunday, January 31, 2016

Catherine Meadows Weekly Post 3









1) what are the artist’s technical choices?
Jensen, in my opinion, has an amazing eye for light and contrast. She shoots in color and often in her work, she seems to include things that have a pop of color in them. Some of the models in her photos look posed, while other shots look candid. I'm unsure whether this was on purpose, or if she simply told the subjects to do whatever felt comfortable.
 
2) what are the artist’s conceptual and/or thematic intents?
Thilde Jensen suffers with MCS (Multiple Chemical Sensitivity). After she got this illness in 2003, she moved to New York, where she discovered that there were so many others with the same condition. This series examines those people who also share this "invisible" condition. Her photos are very powerful, as they show personal, difficult moments of people's every day lives with MCS. She seems to alienate the subjects from their surroundings, furthermore showing the severity of this condition.
 
3) how do you respond to these choices and intents?  
I thoroughly enjoyed Thilde's series. I actually couldn't choose just 3 photos to include in this post. I found with her photos, that I could stare at them for a long time and not get uninterested. I've always been a huge lover of light and contrast in photography and find that Thilde Jensen has a great talent for finding those. I also really enjoyed her concept behind this series, photographing an "invisible" condition that should be, in my opinion, more commonly known.


2 comments:

  1. Really enjoying all the lines throughout that keep drawing into the picture and back out again. Your eye keeps moving through the piece over and over searching for more details as to what the narrative is. Without reading about MCS it can be read in a lot of ways. Super intriguing either way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This work really intrigued me, so I checked out some of her other images. I notice that she makes very effective use of high-key lighting in many of her images, including many in this series. I think such lighting gives the images a sort of otherworldliness that can be read in several different ways (as Katelyn notes) - including post-apocalyptically. Which I think works really well with the story she is telling here.

    ReplyDelete