Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Hailey Porth Weekly Post 1

Andreas Gursky

Guggenheim

MOMA









Gursky uses a large format camera and does not digitally manipulate his images. His huge photographs are normally taken from up above looking down or not from the point of view that you see at eye level. Gursky's use of vivid color and repetition has transcended time and is still relevant to today's photography.

Andreas Gursky repetition and patterns are addicting to look at and are images that are so easy to get stuck in your brain. The splashes of color leap off of the photograph and it is hard to take your eyes off of them. Many times his subjects continue past the boarders of the page which leads the eye into the his patterns that he creates.

Throughout Gursky's portfolio I am able to see a wide range of photographs that shows how versatile he is. From these huge landscapes to the patterns and shapes he is able to find I am continually captured by his work. It encourages me to look past the everyday and look for what he see's. I find myself looking into windows and architecture trying to spot what he see's. His eye for color and composition also pushes me to set up my photographs and really look for what the best dynamic angle to shoot is.

1 comment:

  1. I love these photographs! Looking for geometric or abstract patterns in both natural and man-made landscapes is one of my favorite things to do (and those patterns are one of my favorite things to photograph), so it's great to look at the work of someone who has really mastered the art. I clearly need to check out more of it!

    ReplyDelete