Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Edward Burtynsky




Most of this artists work revolves around the idea of capitalism, which involves the idea of unlimited resources, and just massive production of things. I find this work very powerful, because of the documentary nature to them ( the editing, the always frontal approach to them). I think most americans don't realize or even comprehend what it is like to not have absolutely everything you could possibly want. Well these pictures tend to show what it takes to maintain that lifestyle, what it does to the world, where the products go when we throw them away to buy a new one, etc. When I look at his images, which I do often, I cannot help but feel very small, that the world really is this big ball of rock floating through space, and the people living on it are destroying it.

No comments:

Post a Comment