Sunday, January 26, 2014

Sentences on Conceptual Art

"When an artist learns his craft too well he makes slick art."


I did not find any true definition for "slick art", so I broke it down in the way that I hear it. To me, slick or being slick is like someone who is trying to do something they have no business doing. They are up to no good. With using that meaning, I believe "slick art" could be works of an artist where he is just trying to get away with something, or going the easy route. When an artist learns his craft or perfects his technique, sometimes an artist will put that limit on themselves like that is all they can do. They can't go beyond that because it is not something they are used to, or it doesn't say perfection to them. Eventually that perfected craft becomes repetition of techniques being seen and then the artist is creating "slick art" where he's just getting away by doing what he knows. "Doing the same old things.

No comments:

Post a Comment