Sunday, January 26, 2014

35 Sentences on Conceptual Art


22. “The artist cannot imagine his art, and cannot perceive it until it is complete.”

This sentence seems to contradict the way that most art classes and projects are taught and presented. Usually a project is given with specific guidelines and a deadline in mind; and barely before one can even begin to work, finalized ideas and sketches are expected. I feel that time is needed for ideas to be explored and developed and for flaws to be worked out; which is something that I think cannot be fully achieved by demanding the end result at the beginning.
I believe that a work of art is not finished until the artist himself is satisfied. The meaning of a work of art is not locked in from its beginning, but is able and allowed to continuously change, both additively and reductively, until it is declared finished, something which I think is often overlooked by artists, including myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment