Monday, April 4, 2016

Yajaida, 12

Martin Parr



 Internationally renowned street photographer, photojournalist, fashion photographer, and documentarian Marin Parr has published over fifty photo books and toured extensively. Born in Brittan, he studied photography at university. He is also a photobook collector and critic creating a three part series entitled "The Photobook: A History."

Starting in black and white, he has come to be known largely for his very colorful work. Similarly his equiptment usage has evolved. He began using a Leicia M3, moved to a Nikon 35mm and in 2006 he began to use digital, now a Canon enthusiast. Much of his work uses multiple flashes.

Taken from Parr's website intro, his images "show us in a penetrating way how we live, how we present ourselves to others, and what we value." The reason I chose this photographer is that his intent (though not all his style choices) was what I initially set out as my goal for this project. I wanted to do something that showcased our perception, presentation, and excess. But as I continue to work on this project, I get further away from my initial intent. To change isn't a bad thing, but I can't continue to wander aimlessly. So, I'm assessing again what I want to say so that I can compare it to what I have and then hopefully find my way again.

2 comments:

  1. Where are your paragraphs? Artist link? Artist?

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are really interesting photographs. Each one appears so simple, but each one reveals real depth the more I look at it. I like the humor he seems to embed in at least some of the work - the last image, in particular, really strikes my funny bone. You are a really skilled photographer and, I think, a good storyteller, so I'm going to be really interested to see what you end up with. I expect it will blow me away :)

    ReplyDelete