Monday, April 4, 2016

Victoria Garnett, Artist Post, 4/4/2016

Megan Tsang





Megan Tsang was first an architect but then gained an interest in photography and had been a photographer for eight years. She photographs weddings, engagements and her most interesting work is her Birth Stories. Her birth photography is so bold and real. She takes this messy moment makes it visually appealing, as she is photographing the birth of these babies. Of  course a birth of a child is suppose to be "beautiful" regardless the mess, but the choice of her black and whites helps the moment in the photograph become pleasing to see. 

I am not a fan of birth or even babies, however, these photographs sparked my interest and possible would like to make photographs such as these eventually. She captures these peoples lives during an important and chaotic time as they bring in a new life. She shows the pain of the woman in the hospital bed surrounded by loved ones, the support of a man (possibly her husband) as his hand is on her back comforting her, and the baby that has just been born raised in the light.  

2 comments:

  1. This is terrifying. I know I'm supposed to say beautiful. It isn't shot for beauty. It's shot to make me think of cults and sacrifices. The first image has the nurse handling the baby like a slab of beef at the counter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While these images don't make me think of cults and sacrifices, they do make me think much more about the pain and exhaustion of labor and delivery than they do about its beauty (which, frankly, I thought was vastly overrated when I was going through it!). I think it's partly because no one is smiling in any of the images. And the two images of the woman in labor stress the harshness of the process - the first one by focusing on the hand with all its tendons and veins popping, as though the had is tensed, and the second by hiding the woman's face and only showing the worried faces of her friends/family. That said, I didn't have a particularly easy labor; I would be really interested in hearing the thoughts of someone who loved being pregnant and who had an easy labor and delivery - her perspective might be very different from mine.

    ReplyDelete