Friday, April 8, 2016

victoria garnett, artist post, 4/11/2016

charlie waite




I'm trying to get back into my nature/ landscape photography and I've been looking for photographers for inspiration. I stumbled across Charlie Waite.  His photographs are so direct. He focuses his camera directly on the section of the photo we should be looking at and not having our eyes wondering around the photo. In my opinion the last photo is simple yet very well constructed and beautiful.  He gives us beauty and mystery in these photos.I want to make photos such as these where I narrow down what exactly it is that want to photograph and not try and capture everything in one shot. According to his website, "Waite has given and continues to give tuition to amateur, professional and aspiring photographers of all ages from the UK, Australia, Europe, and the US which he hugely enjoys". 



4 comments:

  1. As we continue to discover, you and I have very similar tastes in photography, so it won't be a surprise that I find these images pretty stunning. I agree that part of the key is the relative simplicity of each photograph. With relatively little subject matter, formal qualities like line, shape, color, and light have to carry the image, and I am hugely impressed when photographers can do that - it's certainly something I try to do in my own work. I just wish I were this successful at it! I do think that you are definitely on the right track with yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the direct approach to the images. I think, as a student photographer, I tend to think that photos always need to be more complex. In reality, some of the most simple things are just, if not more, beautiful than something that has been made to make the viewer think. These are gorgeous images with excellent use of color and value throughout all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im going to echo with what Rachel said about the complexity of photographs because its something I feel is important. As an amateur photographer I always tend to find myself compelled to try and recreate the most complex photographs but I feel I love to look and a less complex image more. Sometimes people tend to over think and analyze things I feel that happens to me a lot when I am making pictures. Sometimes you just need to go back to the basics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seems like these images resonate as pallet cleansers and showcase how subtle does not equate a lack of substance. Good pick and I hope you take the inspiration and run with it.

    ReplyDelete