Sunday, April 17, 2016

Catherine Meadows Weekly Post 13



Why We Rescue - USA



















I wish I had discovered this series before I started the final for this class. This series includes a look into the home of a woman who's rescued a dog from an animal shelter. Theron has done photoshoots for dozens of other families, but I chose this one because it was one of my favorites. I really enjoy how Theron took photos of things inside the house that this family lived in, rather than just photos of the people/animals. The environment they live in adds to the emotional part of the series I think.

Theron Humphrey does a pretty wide variety of things photography-wise, but I originally discovered him from his series, "Maddie on Things", which he posts on his instagram. This series involves his dog, Maddie the Coonhound, on a variety of random objects. It's a pretty hilarious yet adorable series so I highly suggest checking it out. I believe he's published a book featuring photos from the series also.

When I look at photos from Theron's Why We Rescue series, I notice a wide variety of colors included in his shots of still life. In his posed portraits of the animals and people, he tends to find a plain background that helps the subject stand out a bit, which I love. He also has portrait shots that look like they could be either candid or posed, it's hard for me to tell with some of them. Theron really thinks about light when making these photographs. Especially with the still life shots, the light creates a nice shadow on the objects. I love not only the quality of the photographs in this series, but also the subject matter behind it. It's nice to see animals who had no home be taken in by a nice family.

2 comments:

  1. It's actually amazing to see that the commercial animal photographers to have this side to them! I love his choice of colors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's actually amazing to see that the commercial animal photographers to have this side to them! I love his choice of colors!

    ReplyDelete