Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Carra Roots - Weekly Blog Post

Sheila Pree Bright





From a young child, we have been brainwashed with how beauty looked. For a girl, that thing has been a barbie doll. They body comes ready made and the size can not changed, but then as a girl you find out that your body is changing. Looking at these images spoke so much because I’ve never physically compared the two. You start to think who did they really have in mind when creating the doll. 

Sheila Pree Bright so simply and specifically, changed different parts of the  doll body and blended it with the natural body parts of women. Not only speaking as a photographer but also talking on body image. Bright is known as a “‘social cultural anthropologist’ portraying large-scale works that combine a wide range of contemporary culture.” She thought about skin tone, symmetry, and composition. Also, she had to take in mind what parts we really look at or think about. This series breaks barriers not only in reality but also in the mind, that it is okay that women don’t fit into this perfect body image that they have placed in our head. 

For me first, photo manipulation is something more that I want to know more about and the length that she went to get these images in so flawless is something beautiful. I also think back on other post that I have made and how I can correlate them into my work as my project grows. Society has been brainwashed to see this only form of beauty that even I, myself has a hard time trying to look into the mirror. Viewing this made me want to push more.

No comments:

Post a Comment