Sunday, April 10, 2016

Carra Roots - Weekly Artist Post

Polly Penrose







The fact that I am focusing on body image and body form, I was truly drawn to Polly Penrose and her series “Body of Work.” Polly is one who has always taken self-portraits but this was the first time that other people have been able to see this work. For this series, she felt the freedom of being to create her own vision instead of instructing a model. Walking into a space alone and unaware she tried different positions and areas of the room. Sometimes she would have to redo a pose 50-60 times just to see if there was anything that she needed to change. 

In her photography, you can see the use of line, shape, color, texture, and composition. She first had to recognize things about herself before composing the image. Her skin tone reacted with the image in a certain way. As well as her emotions, and the state of her body i.e pregnant. How did she want to fit into the space she had chosen and also how much of that space that was going to be shown. I also appreciate how her face is not seen in any of the photographs.

This series inspired me because now that I know an area in which I like or want to focus on, I want to expand what I can do with that. She still works with body form, yet backs away and uses the surrounding space. Although appearing to be a task easy to recreate, it will be a struggle for me to back up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment